Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Shadow of His Wings


My heart aches for our country.  I am still trying to wrap my mind around what happened in Dallas and how it has impacted all of us.  I cry out to the only One (Jesus), who can bring me comfort and peace.  I open my Bible to the Psalms.  They are a balm to my troubled soul.
David wrote many of the Psalms as he was hiding in the caves to escape the wrath of King Saul.  The king wanted him dead.

I may not be hiding in a physical cave.  But in my mind I am trapped by anxiety and fear over the uncertainties of life.  Worry could easily become my constant companion as I watch the news and I my thoughts could numb my heart with dread.

I begin to turn to some of my favorites but before I get to them…I discover Psalm 57.  I am sure I have read it before but the WORD captures my attention.  The broken places in my heart begin to fill with the peace that surpasses all human understanding. 

God in his mercy does not leave us alone in our despair.  We can find refuge in Him.  In the shadow of his wings he keeps us safe as the storm of destruction passes by.  Notice it doesn’t say the storms will not come, they will come but we never face them alone.  A mother bird gathers her chicks close to her under her wings to keep them safe during a storm…God does the same for us.

In verse 7: My heart is steadfast, O God, my heart is steadfast.  In Hebrew steadfast is similar to the word fixed.  My heart is fixed on you, O God.  What does that mean?  When trouble comes my dependence fully relies on God.  I trust Him above all things
Lord, have mercy upon all of us.  Show us how to build bridges and not walls.  Show us how to love each other.  Lord, have mercy as we rest in the shadow of your love and your grace.

1Be merciful to me, O God, be merciful to me,
for in you my soul takes refuge;
in the shadow of your wings I will take refuge,
till the storms of destruction pass by.
2I cry out to God Most High,
to God who fulfills his purpose for me.
3He will send from heaven and save me;
he will put to shame him who tramples on me. Selah
God will send out his steadfast love and his faithfulness!
4My soul is in the midst of lions;
I lie down amid fiery beasts—
the children of man, whose teeth are spears and arrows,
whose tongues are sharp swords.
5Be exalted, O God, above the heavens!
Let your glory be over all the earth!
6They set a net for my steps;
my soul was bowed down.
They dug a pit in my way,
but they have fallen into it themselves. Selah
7My heart is steadfast, O God,
my heart is steadfast!
I will sing and make melody!
8 Awake, my glory!
b
Awake, O harp and lyre!
I will awake the dawn!
9I will give thanks to you, O Lord, among the peoples;
I will sing praises to you among the nations.
10For your steadfast love is great to the heavens,
your faithfulness to the clouds.
11Be exalted, O God, above the heavens!
Let your glory be over all the earth!


No comments: