Saturday, February 28, 2009

Children of the Heavenly Father
As she walked into the room her joy grabbed at our hearts and her presence lit up the waiting room at the Doctor’s office. I heard her Daddy call her Alexis as she paraded by my chair. Her eyes sparkled with fun and mischief as she climbed up into her chair which was taller than her. As her brilliant blue eyes gazed around the room she invited a smile from who were waiting for their medical procedures.

Her Daddy was reading her the comics and after each line she would throw back her head and laugh with pure glee. This little ray of sunshine captivated my heart for those minutes we shared in the same waiting room and for the rest of the day. There were two distinct differences about this precious child, which you could not miss. The light in the room danced off her perfect little head and her tiny chest contained a port which at times allowed dangerous drugs to enter her system to kill off the deadly cancer cells in her little body.

Her parents eyes brimmed with deep love for their little girl, but you could see the lines of worry and weariness etched around their eyes.

As a parent, I could feel the icy claws of fear begin to grip my heart as I began to think about my children. How many of you have broken out into a cold sweat at the thought of watching your child suffer from a life-threatening disease? Have you ever bargained with God? Begging and pleading with Him to let you take the suffering and pain on your child’s behalf? Most parents would take the place of their sick child in an instant, and not give it a second thought.

Sadly, we do not get to choose who becomes sick in our families. God does not choose either; sickness is in our world because of sin.

God weeps with us in our moments of deepest sorrow. He offers us His peace and strength in the moments when we feel like we cannot breathe because the burden is so great. He carries us through the moments when we feel like cannot cope.

I do not know what is in store for my sons as they walk through this life. But I do know the Lord loves them even more than I do. I will cling to the promises of God’s word and entrust my family to His care.

Matthew 11: 28-30 “Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light."



No comments: