Tuesday, February 12, 2008

My Valentine, my soul mate!

This week the world will celebrate Valentines Day. A day that is set apart for showering the one we love with romantic gifts and dinners and flowers. Over the past couple of years Troy and I have not had a lot of money for romantic gifts and dinners…but we have quickly discovered, while those things are nice, they are not required for romance.

I want to dedicate this writing to my soul-mate and my one true love, my husband Troy. There are times when I look at my handsome husband and my heart quickens with the love I have for him. I feel so very blessed to have him as my husband…and I thank the Lord for the gift I have been given.

Troy has a heart of gold and he loves deeply. His thoughts are never consumed about himself but about others. If you have him as a friend….you have a rare gift. Troy will always go above and beyond what is asked of him. If you need help, he will go above and beyond to help you. He serves his God, his family, and his church with a diligence that is beyond compare. If you compliment him, you will discover a humble man. His thought would be why would you not give you very best.

We have been blessed with a deep and abiding love. It does not change because of the circumstances of life…it remains consistent day in and day out. Our love is precious and special, but it is not because Troy and I have the corner market on romance. Nor can we be puffed with pride and think we are better than others.

Long ago, Troy and I promised each other we would base our marriage and life upon God’s word. We would ask God to be at the center of our life and help us through each day. Our wedding verse, which has become our marriage verse: “Commit thy way unto the Lord, trust also in Him and He shall bring it to pass.” Psalm 37:5

Troy and I are not marriage experts but we put our marriage into the Hands of the One who designed it.

Maybe you struggle with your marriage and you wonder what you might do to help make it better. Here are a few things that have made a huge difference in our marriage.

1. Never go to bed angry with each other. If you cannot work it out, agree to disagree and focus on the love you have for each other.
2. Pray with each other. If you pray together, it will bring you closer to each other and closer to God. It doesn’t have to be an elaborate prayer, just pray about what is going on in your life. We usually start with praise and thanksgiving, asking God to help and be with those who are sick, special blessings upon family and friends, and finally seeking guidance and wisdom from the Lord on whatever is going on in our daily lives.
3. Join a couples Bible Study or form one.
4. Finally, if there is an issue you cannot work out. Seek counseling from your Pastor or a trained counselor or Psychologist. There is nothing to be ashamed of and you will be amazed at you can learn about yourself and your spouse.

Happy Valentines Day Troy….I’ll save the really mushy stuff for later![:X][;)]

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was beautiful. I'm glad you have been blessed with such a wonderful soulmate! I love you both very much. Happy Valentines Day!
Jimella

Cheryl said...

Yours and Troy's love story is a special one indeed. I'm so glad I was there to see it from the beginning! God bless you as you continue the adventure!