Saturday, July 29, 2006

Our oldest son Jacob just turned five this month….. I look at him and I’m astonished to see that my little boy is now not so little anymore. It was only yesterday……. that he was beginning to walk and not toddle about, learning to sing his ABC’s, discovering numbers, wearing big boy underwear for the first time, saying I love you for the first time, always wanting to hold Mommies hand, holding his baby brother so carefully and calling him Maffew Rabbit (Matthew Robert), and other precious memories that I have stored in the part of my Mommy’s heart that will always belong to Jacob.

Yes, tears of love and joy are falling down my face. They are filled with memories of discovering that I was pregnant, of hearing his tiny heart beating for the first time, and the moment that we were able to first gaze upon that sweet little face. The awe and the wonder of realizing that God had taken a part of me and a part of Troy and created this amazing little boy that we are so blessed to have as our son.

Time flies on and on and it does not stop even though we want to grasp just a few more moments of each stage that they go through. And yet we know deep in our hearts that there is a natural progression of watching our little boy grow up.

Now I know why parents like to watch their children sleep, it’s because we want to commit every tiny detail to memory of our little angels.

When we brought Jacob home from the hospital, I quickly discovered he loved to have me sing to him. I made up a little song for him and when Matthew was born Jacob insisted that it become Matthew’s song too. Jacob’s heart is often generous when it comes to sharing love with is brother; maybe not so generous when it comes to sharing toys. I sing these words to the tune of, “Children of the Heavenly Father”. The last little verse is from the book, “I’ll Love You Forever”.

Mommy loves her little Jacob,
He’s her precious little angel,
He was sent from God above
As our precious gift of love.

I will love you forever
And I will like you for always
And as long as I’m living,
My baby you will be.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Michelle,

Where has the time gone since you called to tell us you had a baby boy? The years fly by so quickly so thankfully we have memories of the time our children grow through the years.

We love you very much.

Love always, Dad and Mom xoxo