Friday, October 18, 2013

Father Forgive Us


Have you ever been betrayed by a friend or a loved one?  The hurt and the disbelief go so deep it takes your breath away and you forget to live your life for a while.  Oh, there are days and weeks that go by and you think maybe the pain has gone away, but it comes back again trying to steal your joy like a thief in the night.

Yesterday, the bible study I am in had us focus on Luke 23:34 And Jesus said, “Father, forgive them for they know not what they do.”  In this verse Jesus is hanging on the cross, we cannot even imagine the agony he was feeling at this point.  The word crucifixion comes from the word excruciating.  We are unable to comprehend the physical, spiritual, and emotional pain Jesus endured for us.  The soldiers were casting lots for His clothes, while Jesus the Son of God suffered on our behalf.  I could easily stand in judgment of the soldiers, but I cannot because I am no different. 

I would like to share the two main thoughts I had about this verse.   Jesus is speaking on our behalf.  Pleading with God to forgive us because we do not know what we are doing.  They knew; I know...what I am doing when I sin....at least I think I do.  But I do not always realize the enormity of my sin.  How much it hurts God and others.  How destructive it is.  God used their sin, to accomplish his purpose for us in Jesus.  It boggles my mind.  The love Jesus has for us even in our wretchedness is hard to fathom because we do not think that way.  That leads to my second thought.  When I feel someone has wronged me, I often get stuck in my pain over it.  I need Jesus to help me say Father forgive them for they know not what they do.  We (both parties) get stuck in sin and are unaware of what we have done.  I am not able to fix myself or them.  When we forgive we our giving it over to God.  It doesn't mean that my actions were okay or the actions of the other people were okay; it is only letting it go.  And more times than not, I need God to pry it from my hands, because I am not willing to let go of the hurt or the anger.

I do not know your life circumstances or the events that may have caused you pain.  God gives us peace and comfort in His Word.  Jesus tells us Matthew 11:28-30 Come to me all who are labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.  For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

 God can take your battered and confused heart and fill it with the joy that can only be found in Him.

No comments: