Wednesday, March 04, 2009

As a young girl my family would attend Lenten services. At the close of each service, the light would dim until only the cross in front of the church would be illuminated. We would stand and sing "Abide With Me". As the darkness would envelop our small church the familiar notes of the beloved hymn would fill the air and our voices would lift up in praise.

Abide means to remain constant and steadfast. My parents always taught us the Lord would always walk with us, not only in words but by the way they lived their lives. The words of the hymn further instilled this teaching.

I know there are times in life when the hurt we feel encompasses our daily life. It pushes out the peace and leaves us feeling empty and abandoned. When we get caught up in the storms of life we forget our Lord is right there in the midst of the suffering. He didn't cause the suffering, but He understands it. I pray you will find comfort and encouragment in God's word and in the hymn.

Psalm 27
The LORD Is My Light and My Salvation

1The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear?The LORD is the stronghold of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?
2When evildoers assail me to eat up my flesh,my adversaries and foes, it is they who stumble and fall.
3 Though an army encamp against me, my heart shall not fear;though war arise against me, yet I will be confident.
4 One thing have I asked of the LORD, that will I seek after:that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life,to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD and to inquire in his temple.
5For he will hide me in his shelter in the day of trouble;he will conceal me under the cover of his tent; he will lift me high upon a rock.
6And now my head shall be lifted up above my enemies all around me,and I will offer in his tent sacrifices with shouts of joy;I will sing and make melody to the LORD.
7 Hear, O LORD, when I cry aloud; be gracious to me and answer me!8You have said, "Seek my face."My heart says to you, "Your face, LORD, do I seek." 9 Hide not your face from me.Turn not your servant away in anger, O you who have been my help.Cast me not off; forsake me not, O God of my salvation!10For my father and my mother have forsaken me, but the LORD will take me in.
11 Teach me your way, O LORD, and lead me on a level path because of my enemies.12 Give me not up to the will of my adversaries; for false witnesses have risen against me, and they breathe out violence.
13I believe that I shall look upon the goodness of the LORD in the land of the living!14 Wait for the LORD; be strong, and let your heart take courage; wait for the LORD!

1 comment:

Shannon Jacobyansky said...

"Hurt pushes out the peace and leaves us feeling empty and abandoned"....WHAT A GREAT LINE! I loved this devotion! Psalm 27...verse 10 "For my father and my mother have forsaken me, but the LORD will take me in." It is very near and dear to my heart! Thanks my friend!