Saturday, September 09, 2006

Jacob looks at me with his twinkling eyes and a smile that could melt the sternest hearts and tells me that he wants to dance. We are about to have lunch at “Fairyland Ballroom”. All the tables are placed around a beautiful wooden dance floor and the lights are twinkling inviting you to come and dance.

Jacob’s enthusiasm is bubbling over and he can hardly contain himself. He goes out onto the dance floor and there is no music playing; at least not the kind that adults can hear. Jacob was listening to the music that plays in his heart and in his soul. His dance was filled with pure unadulterated joy. Jacob will tell anyone within hearing distance “that he has moves”. His dance was a combination of gymnastic; ballet; freestyle; and some tap dancing moves. Mind you Jacob has never had a lesson in any of those. His dance was so exuberant that you just have to stop what you are doing and smile.

Even though Jacob was the only one on the dance floor; he was not embarrassed, only filled with delight that comes from dancing.

After the meal Jacob begged me to dance with him; he may not have feelings of awkwardness, but his Mommy did. Finally, I thought to myself I don’t have a good enough reason not to dance with my son. Of course, I didn’t go out into the middle of the dance floor but oh how we danced. I’m not sure how many more times my precious son will want to dance to the music of his soul with his Mommy but I wasn’t going to pass up this opportunity.

I happened to glance up and observe the people around us. Many of them were smiling and chucking a little but in their eyes was a longing. When was the last time that you truly danced with delight? When was the last time that you did anything out of character for the pure bliss of just being alive? When was the last time you listened to the music of your heart and your soul?

Don’t get stuck in a rut and lose the joy of all that life has to offer. I could have missed out that day by thinking that I would look foolish; but now I have a precious memory to cherish of dancing with Jacob. Can you hear the music playing……….

“I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly.”
John 10:10 (NKJV)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can imagine Jacob dancing at Fairyland. He does "have moves" and I really find enjoyment in watching him enjoy himself. Oh, to be like a child and not care if people are watching you...
I think that's one of the reasons God puts children in our lives--so we, too, can remember that we can't let opportunities pass us by.

Anonymous said...

Dear Michelle,

I'm glad that you did dance with Jacob and you should grab every chance that you have to do things like this with both Jacob and Matthew. The boys will grow up and one day you can look back at the times like this and remember with a smile on your face and in your heart of all the wonderful memories you have.

We love you very much.

Love always, Dad and Mom xoxo

Anonymous said...

Michelle,
What a beautiful way you have with words. Your writing has always been good but it's getting better.
Your story about Jacob is really, really good. It should be published just so it could be shared.

I liked the one you wrote for Sept. 11 too.
Love,
Jimella