Wednesday, June 14, 2006

This week’s writing is in honor of my Father, James Moorhead. This week-end the Moorhead clan will gather in Minnesota to celebrate the 40 years of love and blessings my parents have shared with each other.

Dear Dad,

They say that King David was a man after God’s own heart because of his love for God. I can truly say that you have been a Dad after God’s own heart and for that I am eternally grateful. The Bible verse that comes to mind, “and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?” Micah 6:8 (RSV)


At a young age I remember us gathering together after supper to do our family devotions. There were many times that I thought, oh I wish we could hurry up and get this over with we have things to do. But you taught us that nothing was more important than spending time together in God’s word and praying together as a family. You and Mom stood firmly together in teaching us “The Faith”. We never had to wonder on Sunday mornings if we would go to church or not, we always knew where we would be together in the Lord’s house on Sunday Morning.

I have so many fond memories of sitting and talking about God’s word. I knew that I could come to you and Mom with questions that I had about God and you always took the time to talk about my questions.

You and Mom were very strict and at times I thought it was so unfair; and of course as you know I voiced my opinions loudly. You never backed down on the decisions that you and Mom made. Now as I look back; I see it was another gift that you gave to us. I wasn’t mature enough to make those decisions and you knew it. Anyone can be a parent but it takes an exceptional person to be the parent that God has called you to be. You and Mom both knew that you answered to God before anyone else. The life of a Godly parent is filled with patience, wisdom, long-suffering, understanding, and the ability to love and forgive your child even when you do not feel like it. We saw the image of God reflected in the love that you gave us as children. Thank you for the example that you and Mom showed us day after day.

Thank you for loving and honoring Mom; we knew that you both deeply loved each other and that was a precious gift to us. As we gather to celebrate your Marriage, we know that it was something that you both had to work at. To many people walk away when things don’t go their way but you showed us the way that God would have us live.

You have taught us that loving God and honoring Him is far more important than the riches of this world. How many times did you give up getting a newer car so that you could provide for the needs of your children? I never heard you complain; you were selfless when it came for providing for your family.

I love you Dad. I’m so thankful for all of the lessons that you taught me about God and life. Thank you for being a Dad after God’s own heart.

The following Psalm reminds me of you and the lessons that you and Mom strived to teach us.

Love always,
Michelle

1 I will bless the LORD at all times; His praise shall continually be in my mouth. 2 My soul will make its boast in the LORD; The humble will hear it and rejoice. 3 O magnify the LORD with me, And let us exalt His name together. 4 I sought the LORD, and He answered me, And delivered me from all my fears. 5 They looked to Him and were radiant, And their faces will never be ashamed. 6 This poor man cried, and the LORD heard him And saved him out of all his troubles. 7 The angel of the LORD encamps around those who fear Him, And rescues them. 8 O taste and see that the LORD is good; How blessed is the man who takes refuge in Him! 9 O fear the LORD, you His saints; For to those who fear Him there is no want. 10 The young lions do lack and suffer hunger; But they who seek the LORD shall not be in want of any good thing. 11 Come, you children, listen to me; I will teach you the fear of the LORD. 12 Who is the man who desires life And loves length of days that he may see good? 13 Keep your tongue from evil And your lips from speaking deceit. 14 Depart from evil and do good; Seek peace and pursue it. 15 The eyes of the LORD are toward the righteous And His ears are open to their cry. 16 The face of the LORD is against evildoers, To cut off the memory of them from the earth. 17 The righteous cry, and the LORD hears And delivers them out of all their troubles. 18 The LORD is near to the brokenhearted And saves those who are crushed in spirit. 19 Many are the afflictions of the righteous, But the LORD delivers him out of them all. 20 He keeps all his bones, Not one of them is broken. 21 Evil shall slay the wicked, And those who hate the righteous will be condemned. 22 The LORD redeems the soul of His servants, And none of those who take refuge in Him will be condemned.
Psalms 34:1-22 (NASB)

No comments: